SUMMER IS HERE and it’s time to lighten the load. This means shedding pounds, losing inches and approaching your weight from all angles to maximize healthy results. Here are seven tips to help you on your way to a slimmer, healthier, happier YOU.
TIP #1 SET YOUR GOALS
If you are clear from the start what it is that you want to achieve, setting goals are a key element for success. For example, start by weighing in to get an accurate reading and set goals incrementally – five pound intervals work well. Plan to reduce slowly at a rate of 1-2 pounds a week, depending on your specific goal. Weigh in once a week and document your weight. Be patient and remember that slow is better for permanent weight reduction.
TIP #2 FOODS TO SUPPORT HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS
There are certain foods with higher water content that help to hydrate the body giving it a feeling of being satisfied and nourished. Some of these foods include summer squash (such as zucchini), cucumbers, melons (particularly watermelon), berries and celery. Summer is a great time to replenish your body with fresh organic fruit and vegetables to support a slimmer, more vibrant body. Foods to limit during weight loss are carbohydrates such as bread, crackers, cookies, cakes and chips. Also, use fats and oils sparingly such as butter and salad oils to a maximum of 2 tablespoons per day. Try to avoid dairy products with a high fat content such as cheese, cream and milk. Instead, be creative and substitute yogurt in recipes that call for dairy.
BONUS TIP: SUMMER BEAUTY FOODS
Strawberries, Zucchini, Red Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Radishes, Arugula, Figs
TIP #3 MINDFUL EATING
Begin your weight loss experience with the understanding that you are in control of everything that passes through your lips. Mentally document or keep a journal and record everything you eat. Learn how to read labels on packaged foods, reduce quantities by eating on smaller sized plates, eat slowly and enjoy your food. Be truthful to yourself about the quality and quantity of the foods you consume.
TIP #4 FLUSH OUT WITH WATER
One of the most important components to weight loss is consistent water consumption. Sip water slowly throughout the day. Be creative with water intake to make it more interesting by adding lemon juice, lavender, cucumber and various citrus fruit.
TIP #5 GET UP AND MOVE
Begin your exercise regime with the activities you like the most. This will jump start you into other forms of exercise that are beneficial in weight loss. Keep it fun and simple whether it be walking, hiking, swimming, biking, dancing or working out at the gym. All movement counts!
TIP #6 BE CREATIVE WITH FOOD AND EXERCISE
Learn to shake up the norm with your food and exercise. This keeps your weight loss program fresh and exciting. Here are a few tips to get you started– there are no limits to constructive creativity for weight loss.
- Sit next to the slowest eater. It takes about 20 minutes for the hormones to fully activate in order to begin feeling satisfied from hunger
- Fill up on a large salad or veggies before leaving to go out to parties or social events
- Put your fork down between bites and sip water throughout the meal
- Create low calorie cocktails with fruit juice and herb tea
- Thermogenic foods such as chili pepper, horseradish, mustard, cinnamon, fennel seed, garlic, ginger, ginseng and turmeric help to burn fat
- Cook food in broth rather than oil and drizzle a little olive oil over food after cooked
- When out with friends, place the emphasis on socializing, not on food
- Climb stairs rather than taking the elevator and walk to work if possible
- Park the car further away from your destination
- Be creative with exercise equipment such as tubes, bands, balls, playgrounds, outdoor circuits etc.
- On days that you resist exercising, give yourself 15-30 minutes max. It will usually end up being an hour once you get started
- Work out for just 20 minutes in short bursts 3 times throughout the day
- Take yourself on an adventurous outdoor vacation
TIP #7 REST AND RECUPERATION
- Lack of sleep can affect your ability to lose weight
- Lack of sleep affects the secretion of cortisol (hormone that regulates the appetite), which may continue to make you feel consistently hungry
- Increasing rest will help you to lose weight easier by decreasing the hormone ghrelin that tells you when to eat, and increasing the hormone leptin that tells you when to stop eating and when you are sleep deprived
- Try stretching out before bedtime to help you sleep
- Meditate or listen to peaceful music to calm the mind and body before bedtime
- Rest and recuperation is essential to the healing process on all levels
Following these simple tips will set you on your way to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Remember the adage, calories in, calories out. That is the key to weight loss.
GO FOR IT * HAVE FUN * DO YOUR BEST * ATTAIN YOUR GOAL
YOU CAN DO IT…..